Monday 23 June 2014

A makeover for the boudoir

I'm definitely one of those people who really struggles with cleaning out their room. I don't just mean because I'm lazy and messy - I definitely am, both of those things, but it's not JUST because of those unfortunate characteristics that I regrettably embody. It's mostly because I am a gigantic hoarder, and I really struggle with throwing things away. I'm hugely sentimental about inanimate objects, and even clothes - I have T-shirts that I haven't worn since I was 6 (which my now-21 year old body would DEFINITELY reject if I try to put them on) but I refuse to throw out because my Grandad bought them for me when we went to Belgium. I realise it's silly, but I fear that T-shirt with the teddy bears on probably will never leave my possession.

Now, that is all well and good, but now I'm home from Uni I have found myself trapped in a 15-year-old me's bedroom because I've never thrown anything out, and slowly a pile of old junk and new is filling up my floor to a state where even I struggle with being in my room. In order to avoid any further injuries - I've already tripped over my still-unpacked suitcase from uni and given my shin a thwack on the door - it's time to do something.

As well as having a big old clear up and restocking the local Oxfam, I thought it'd be the perfect time to give my room a bit of a makeover. Each year at Uni I have absolutely loved moving into a new room each year, and getting creative with my space. I've been looking up some room design ideas on Google images, and decided I really love these styles:



They're a bit different - the first two are more shabby chic, and the bottom one is more based around the wood. I love elements of both though, and am going to have to get my thinking cap on around how I can bring in my favourite parts of both styles! My current furniture in my bedroom is heavily pine based, so at the moment I'm thinking I'll keep with my furniture (partly due to having a look on the John Lewis website and nearly fainting at the cost of a new wardrobe) but maybe try and accessorise with vintage and shabby chic ornaments and wall art :) it's going to be a looooooong process, but I'll upload photos when I've done! Phew.

Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment